Friday, March 30, 2012

Otago, Breast Hill track to Hawea/Wanaka

Canyons and mountains, two things you'll see lots of in New Zealand

dbBrad crossing the Ahuriri River, the widest, deepest and fastest river on the Te Araroa (during normal flows)

Ahuriri River valley, high above the river itself.

Big trophy deer in a reserve at head of Birchwood carpark, beginning of East Ahuriri Track

Snow again, in summer, along the Te Araroa Trail

An orange marker in the landscape, the only thing that lets me know I'm on the right track, maybe! A DoC track for sure, but is it the Te Araroa Trail I desire to be on?

DoC marker along the Te Araroa Trail. How many does it take to be a well marked trail and when are there too many and it becomes visual pollution infringing on the solitude of nature? Does it matter if the landscape isn't native? Questions one asks when deliberating markings on a trail: when is it helpful and when does it becomes graffiti?

Mt. Martha Saddle, amazing terrain and a bulldozer track too!

dbBrad heading over Mt. Martha Saddle on the Te Araroa Trail

The four hunters who fed me venison and goat, of some sort, shared their beer, let me soak my cold hands in their warm water (while I did the dishes) and then fed me bacon and eggs in the morning too. 4 awesome guys I wasn't expecting to find along the Te Araroa Trail who are as much a part of my adventure in NZ as any one of the Te Araroa tracks.

dbRock'n view along Breast Hills Track, NZ


Same track only a few K later with a totally different view!

dbDork on the Te Araroa Trail, Breast Hill track

Beautiful views from BrE Hill Track along the Breast River track of the Te Araroa
I love my MSR Reactor purchased from Wander on Whidbey and the pot holder DoC installed at the top of BrE Hill. Now when is MSR going to give me a job?

No comments:

Post a Comment