Friday, March 30, 2012

Damn Great Hut, built for mice and men!

dbBrad ascending up the Breast Hill Track
Coming up this beautiful valley, with spectacular weather, it's hard to believe it will be frozen and covered with snow for several months this winter.
Tin hut, a NLMIS (nasty little mouse infested shelter) where one can truly ponder the meaning of life.
As I rounded a bend in the early morning I saw a red outhouse up on the hill. A sure sign a hut was near by.

The view from the NLMIS is amazing
One cannot pass a hut and not at least have a look inside. When I opened the door I saw what I really wanted to see after over 100 days of tramping -- a comfy chair.

The chair, perhaps the most famous chair, perhaps the only chair, along the Te Araroa Trail.
Not a stool, not a bench, not a piece of firewood to perch myself on, but a chair, with upholstery and arm rests, and damn comfortable to boot.

The Tin Hut, a very cute NLRIS!
The hut, called the Tin Hut, was a nasty little rodent infested shelter I'm betting they wouldn't use in a third world country, but the chair was awesome and when one sat down, the view through the little 5' tall doorway that was not even 24" wide, was spectacular.

In this photo it looks more like the mouse house that it is!

I stayed for an hour writing in my journal and admiring the view and contemplating what it means to have some time and a place to sit. Rest time, comfort, relaxation and appreciation all take on different meanings on the Te Araroa Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment