Sunday, December 25, 2011

Very Merry Christmas along the Te Araroa trail

My mom, clever and creative, managed to make my Xmas special this year, even from a different hemisphere! Over the years I've provided her with many challenges far greater than figuring out how to make a Xmas away from home special for her only son.


In New Zealand the burgers are small but the Santas are Super Sized!
Being in New Zealand and somewhere along the Te Araroa, a trail over 3000km long poses issues for Santa and his delivery crew. Additionally, weather, trail closures, side trips and difficult terrain and navigation make knowing where I'll be tomorrow difficult, let alone where I'll be in a few weeks.


Not to mention my 28 pound pack wants to get lighter, not heavier making gifts other than helium unwelcome! But Mom thought about it with enough lead time to send me a very special gift. And like the 'very real mom' she is, she even found a way to sneak in the veggies!!! Peas and corn in New Zealand!!

Te Santa Araroa Reindeer trail in Auckland
So on the register in my room is the food lined up with Santa in the background. It's now the day after Christmas in New Zealand and I haven't eaten my Christmas dinner yet, but I will, as soon as I extract myself from this city and all it's concrete, traffic and distractions and return to the trail. Soon I will be in a remote place again, all alone. Undoubtedly there will be another rainy evening where I can look forward to sitting in my tent, reading a letter from home, and eating a 4 course meal for Christmas!! I can't wait.

The menu. Thanks mom for taking some pre-packaged freeze dried meals
and turning them into a four course formal meal

Merry Christmas to all my loved ones back in the States, from dbBrad, New Zealand, and the Te Ararao trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment