Friday, December 25, 2009

Thank you Santa

Just what I always wanted. A big bad truck, more powerful than any others, sound echoing through the wilderness at my arrival but with a perfectly quite, air conditioned interior of leather seats and crystal clear audio.

And now I have one. It's only a 150 for economy. To get better economy, I put bigger wheels on so that every time the engine goes around I'll go a little further.

By not actually needing roads, I can shorten my commuting by taking more direct routs.

And it's funny, but maybe there is therapy to be had in pretending. Wanting something enough to put in the time to create a full mental construct.

That is what I do with schematic design. I dream up ideas that solve problems, I render them and encourage through discussion, drawings, models and presentation, my clients to 'live it'. Walk through the doors. Sit at the table. Look out the window.

And so my practical side won't let me have a truck like this. But I can pretend, without expense to the environment or myself, that I have a giant one ton diesel truck workhorses jacked up and rendered useless for hauling or towing or even longevity because I've tricked it out to be fast, noisy and destructive.

I admit--I wish I could justify a truck like this-the luxury of pushing around 8,ooo pounds of steel with a motor that's wastes 80% of it's embodied energy, just to impress my clients. But allas, I continue to strive to get closer to sustainability and when the Europeans have an average consumption of 116 gallon per year per capita, I just don't think I'd be happy with my truck parked 350 days a year.

But armed with the power of unlimited immagination, I can experience this ego-building sensation too. It weighs only 5 lbs (my truck, not my ego). At one tenth scale (the wheels then being 54" in diamter and the fuel tanks each hold 92 gallons), it's just big enough to be a funormant for my truck. That's a hood ornament you can have fun with!

No comments:

Post a Comment