Monday, April 4, 2011

Container Modifications, cutting in a door


Using a small grinder and about 5 of the little 4.5" Forney cutting disks, which incidentally have doubled in price in less than a year, we cut along the top and bottom tubes to create a door in the side of a container.

Above is a small video of Travis and Brad completing the cut and dropping the panel onto the pre-constructed platform.

Forward stops and hooks welded to the container make hook up quick and secure.

I purchased a trailer which is designed to load and unload containers utilizing a tilting bed and a winch. The container will be my shop, but with awnings on both sides, providing a covered work space of 480sq ft.

12" table saw on newly cut container door with mock up tables.

My 12" table saw, a 19" band saw, two planers, a long bed jointer, wide belt sander, drill press, and welding gear are set up and ready to go. Just open the back, fold down the side door, plug in the main power, and start working!

Shelves and workbench fastened to doors are the metal shop.

Because I use salvaged materials, I need larger tools and a shop that can re-saw wood. Because I like a high level of finish, I need planers, jointers and sanders and dry work space. Because my architectural language embraces the melding of steel and wood, I need a drill press and welders. And because I embrace the notion of design build, I need these tools on site. The container shop will work great once I finish all the modifications to the container!

The container shop is tight, but is working well.

Eventually there will be another 8' x 8' door on the other side with work space and chop saws permanently mounted which will fold up with the door when I close up shop each day. The doors will be driven by 12 volt electric winches powered by batteries charged with solar panels. A large self powered welder will be able to run the tools if no power is available.

1 comment:

  1. There's a chance you are eligible for a new government solar program.
    Click here and discover if you're qualified now!

    ReplyDelete