Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Klepper


Kayaking in the San Juan Islands is one of my favorite local activities. I especially like the Klepper for its comfort and sailing ability. This trip found us in moderate wind, large tide shifts, and fast currents so we did more paddling than I usually do.



Every time I visit the San Juan Islands, I'm slightly more concerned about the pollution, the private and public bluff and shoreline edges, and the tide lands. There is increased clearing, development, and commercialization, with, it appears, too little regard to protecting these very special resources (including damage from whale watching, guided kayak tours and fishing).



On this trip I particularly noticed the trampling of Possey Island, a cute island outside Roche Harbor that I've been visiting for two decades. It is missing understory, is compacted and the trees are not looking healthy. It seems to me like the over use by commercial kayaking tours is taking it's toll. It certainly is making it difficult for the rest of us to use the island. Out of 8 reservations for the next few weeks, five of them are for commercial kayak tours. I certainly hope their use fees are greater given their high impact on the island. I also hope they are helping to support our state parks in other ways. I also wonder if commercial use should be restricted until the island can recover.


Spieden Island is always interesting. It once had albino antelope of some sort but this time all we saw were Big Horned Rams. I wonder if they came down the Colorado river, crossed the Cascades and swam out to the island? Or is their presence the result of ignorance and too much money? There are many signs of overgrazing and erosion. It's scary because once the native plants loose their hold and the earth starts to erode from grazing the entire ecology of that island is threatened. It is so much easier to care for our land while it's still healthy.


And of coarse there's beautiful Jones Island, with it's amazing camping, along the southwest corner. Of interest, although this island supports motorboats, it seems to be in good shape.


Special thanks to Washington State Parks, the people who volunteer for the parks, the rangers and organizations like Washington Water Trails, for tending to these very special islands. I'm also grateful for my companion, Joe Greene, for patiently listening to me express my concerns for the environment.


1 comment: