Sunday, March 28, 2010

Deer Fence


Cheryl's deer fence taking shape. First clearing of the path. It's a little tight under the willow tree but preserving the native vegetation is important on steep sites with fill.


Having plants near the fence means a further jump for the deer allowing for reduced height


We used round wood posts from Skagit Farmers supply. 2-3" by 10' posts worked in most places but 3-4" posts were used at corners and soft spots.



Hoping to create a fence that will stand straight and be functional for at least 2 decades, we tightened our centers on the posts and used a few more but made a much stronger and more attractive fence.



Digging holes on steep terrain and in sand has definite drawbacks. We avoided collapsing holes by driving all our posts. Jimmy of Irish Welding super sized a fence pounder for me. It's made of 5" schedule 80 pipe with a 3/4" plate welded to the end and solid 3/4" rod handles. It weighs about 80#'s. Needless to say, it has some bumping power!


Photos - From top:
Josh clearing the line
Under the willow tree.
Two people needed on the 10' tall posts.
Josh and Joe take a break from pile-driving.
Brad admires his new tool from Irish Welding

2 comments:

  1. I've heard a bunch of people on these blogs having success with deer off from havahart, so I'm going to try this stuff. I don’t want to deal with putting up a fence. Plus, I really like the way my yard looks now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the variety of fabrics that you get, but I don't like the pinked edges. Sometimes I have trouble getting things to line up nicely when pairing it with a straight cut edge.
    fences quotes

    ReplyDelete