Saturday, November 5, 2011

Packwood Hotel is a PCT haven!

The Packwood hotel is 22 miles west of where White Pass and the PCT intersect. It is one of the most pleasant places I've had the opportunity to visit, right up there with Senior Poggi's hotel along the Italian Riviera in Montorosso.

Monterosso, compliments of Travel Pod and 'Google Image Search.
World class local hospitality operated by an owner who has interest, compassion and consideration for each and every one of her unique travelers. At the Packwood Hotel, Marilyn greeted me with a warm entrance into her home and hotel, gave me clean clothes, did all my wet filthy laundry and provided a clean warm room with an amazing hot shower.

dbBrad's last night on the PCT at the Packwood Hotel with Kathleen, a microbiologist from Germany.
The Packwood Hotel though is more than a place to stay, it's a place to hang out and meet people. Two such people from Switzerland are Walter and Ruth. Neither of these people knew English as their native language but education is king and their English, both written and verbal, was better than the average Americans.

The original Packwood Hotel (behind the new one) which desperately needs to be restored.
As with everyone I met on the trail, I said 'just Google dbBrad and you'll find me. Walter and Ruth did so , found me as I said they would and e-mailed me such a nice letter I've posted it below.

Ruth and Walter from Switzerland in front of Hotel Packwood.

Letter via dbBrad Google Search from travelers I met on the PCT 2011.


Hi brad
remember Packwood and the comfort of its lounge including hot chocolate, unique Marlene and international company?
For the first time since then I have leisurely access to the Internet as we got stranded at a hotel in Page AZ. Walter is trying to recover from we don't know what , he needs a lot of sleep and so I have time to look up all those wonderful people we met on our trip.
dbbrad you told me, just google db brad. I kept doing so, but each time this company shows up which makes a point of the sustainability of its products, a company that constructs thoughtful buildings. Their Internet presence is impressive and you cannot avoid it. But where is brad , the brad we met.
Finally it dawned on me: dbbrad is dbbrad!
bingo
and there are those wonderful clever pictures full of adventure, nature and good mood.
I love the ones with your dog as your partner and hiking companion.

I couldn't stop reading about your adventures.

Glad we met you, glad you are there!

ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment