Wednesday, November 16, 2011

dbBrad Departs for New Zealand

After much contemplation of what to do in life, I've decided to hit the restart button. I've been contemplating what to do with my business, with the ideas in my head, with my frustration in life, and how to apply my talent for design to help others, make a difference in the world, and find happiness on a daily basis.


So I did it, I made a plan, and I'm off for what I hope will be a life changing adventure. I write now from New Zealand, from a different hemisphere and a strange computer almost a full day ahead of those reading this back in the states. It was a long flight to get here, over 35 hours between boarding at Sea-Tac and clearing customs in Auckland New Zealand--but now I'm here with 25lbs of gear, 5 months of time, and none of the distractions or stress of what will come to be my 'former life'.

As usual, both sets of my amazing parents not only are supporting my decision to shut down dbBrad for almost a year (5 months in New Zealand and then I return to begin the PCT at the end of April which will take another 5 months) and go hiking, but have pitched in and made huge sacrifices to help make it happen.


Only two weeks ago did I decide to take this trip and it's been quite a scramble to pack up all my stuff and make the arrangements to be gone for a year. Though I've taken great steps to minimize the items in my life, there are still piles of stuff remaining, from skis to pieces of BAPOW (Bad ass pieces of wood) to piles of steel to be removed in my absence. And by who you may ask?



By my amazing parents, the ones pictured herein who have been working like mad for the last two weeks to help make this happen and who all came to see me off at the airport.



So this posting is dedicated to mom and dad (Fran and Barry) and Susan and Ed, end even to Greg--for the amazing support I received in not only preparing for this trip, but during my entire life. I am truly blessed to have such an amazing set of parents and mentors in my life and I thank each and every one of you for the help and support I've never been without. But especially I want to thank Fran Abel, the best mom in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Brad! Amazing adventures ahead! Have fun!
    Sheila (the bookkeeper that will give you no bad news for a year!)

    ReplyDelete