Tuesday, July 23, 2013

AutoStitch, the best Panorama app out there, and it's free!


Panorama Deluxe in the Olympics.  A complete 360!!  8 different images, but just one me!
Last year on the PCT I met a father son team from New Zealand trail named Shack and Wiki.  It seemed funny to me to meet these two thru hikers from NZ on the PCT, not on the Te Araroa.  

Big Sur, California

Anyhow, they showed me this great app called AutoStitch.  It was free, or only 99 cents, so I installed it.  I didn't use it much, just occasionally here and there.  It's easy to use, simple and well thought out.  

Yessi searching for a way to cross a raging stream in the Olympics.
 One neat feature is that you can select previous photos to stitch together.  After using this feature a few times, I fell in love with this app.

In the Olympics, huge boulders in the forest.

I now consider this app amazing.  How it can identify similarities of pictures, stitch them together vertically, horizontally or diagonally to create a panorama is just amazing to me.


Lake Constance in the Olympics, above the Dosewallips river basin

And the way it corrects for perspective is phenomenal.  It seems to curve each image to some varying degree so that they all fit together correctly and vertical lines all converge on the same point while horizon alt lines remain straight.

Yessi on Anderson Glacier in the Olympics.
What I truly like about this app is that it allows you to take pictures of very large, long or tall scenes without having to have all the peripheral stuff in the photo.  Take the tree and me shot at the very bottom. This is from Muir Redwoods and is a photo of a tree almost 300' tall.  If I'd shot that with a wide angled lens I'd have about 50 other people in the photo.  

Yessi tramples flowers in the Olympics
Stitching smaller photos together allows you to capture what you want with individual shots and essentially edit out stuff you don't want in your photo by not photographing it.

dbBrad in front of a huge Redwood at Muir park, just north of San Francisco.


No comments:

Post a Comment