Saturday, April 9, 2011

Containerations

CONTAINERATIONS: Modifying a container to create a mobile, self contained, secure work shop.

another dbBrad original design.

My container, a Genstar, on the bottom of a pile.  It took ConGlobal about 10 minutles to get it free and place it on my trailer!
After an exhausting search of overpriced metal boxes on Craigslist, I finally decided a steel shipping container, not a truck box, tent, trailer or shack, was the right structure for what I needed.

The new dbBrad container and trailer, fresh off the boat!
I have lots of large tools which I need on my job sites for the type of work I do, but I've grow tired of moving them.  Not only does it take the crew a whole day to move tools, but additional time to get them powered up, to repair damage and to get them tuned up and working properly.  And hoisting 800lb tools into the back of a truck is dangerous.  This container made into a shop but which is portable is my solution of how to keep big tools dry, safe, near by and ready to use.


The hoist and winch of the trailer for loading and unloading the container, with new heavy duty hold downs and stops.

The container was purchased from ConGlobal in Seattle.  Doug DeVries, the sales manager, was accommodating, helpful and knowledgeable. It's been an interesting learning curve about the different types and lengths of containers and the parts and fittings used to fix and secure them and the different products available to customize them, such as weld on windows, nifty little vents, and locking/attaching devices of which there are several.

My entire metal shop is mounted to the door so I can open it all the way and keep the metal dust away from my wood working tools and supplies.
However, most of the containerations I've seen have lacked in architectural detailing and even function for that matter.  The opportunity to do something wonderful with a container that can be stacked 9 high and hold 24,000lbs is amazing, but so often they are little more than dark small spaces with 2x4 walls framed on the inside.  Why use the container I say if you're not going to utilize its structural properties.


A finished Green Wall System Panel; an experiment in containerations, living walls and futon re-use
I wont be stacking, cantilevering or tricking out the interior, but I'm using the container as a structural shell, and I'm giving it architectural detailing in an attempt to create high function and aesthetic.

My 12" table saw on the fold down door under the awnings in progress.
So for me, if you're going to purchase all the steel and structure that come with a 5,000lb steel box, do something dynamic with it.  I'm using the sturdy frame to bolt my large heavy tools to; using the corrugated panels filled in with wood for structural decking; using the metal channels around the bottom to weld hinges to; using the metal walls to weld shelf supports, brakes, vices and tools too; and using the metal as a backdrop for a green wall.

dbBrad green wall system, another experiment in alternative construction methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment